Mercury

Maximum Contaminant Level

US EPA:

MCL – 0.002 mg/L

MCLG – 0.002 mg/L

WHO Guideline – 0.006 mg/L

Mercury is a naturally occurring metal and comes in several forms. It is widely known as the only metal to be liquid at room temperature; when heated it can become a colorless, odorless gas. Half of the mercury released into the environment comes from natural processes, such as volcanic eruptions and other geological processes. Humans are responsible for the other half, releasing mercury into our environment via discharge from refineries and factories, and runoff from landfills and croplands. Mercury is known to be a systemic and long-term poison for humans as well as other organisms. At high levels of exposure, it can cause permanent damage to the brain and kidneys, and in pregnant women it can damage the developing fetus. The reduced brain functionality caused by mercury may present itself in the form of tremors, irritability, shyness, memory problems, and changes in vision or hearing.

Treatments for mercury consist of the following:

  • Distillation
  • Reverse Osmosis
  • Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) Filters
  • Solid Block & Precoat Filters